NISTPASS is the research organization of Ministry of Science and Technology and Environment established by decision No 248/TTg dated 23rd April 1996 of Prime Minister, based on merging the two institutes: National Institute of Science and Technology Forecast and Strategy Studies (NISTFASS) and Institute of Science Management (ISM).
On 18th Jan 2007, Minister of Science and Technology signed his decision on promulgating the Statute regarding the organization and operation of NISTPASS. This decision replaced the decision No 1285/QĐ-TCCBKH dated 4th July 1996.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
According to decision No 101/QĐ-KHHCN signed on 18th Jan 2007, the National Institute of Science and Technology Policy and Strategy has the following main funtions, tasks and jurisdictions:
1. Carry out research to provide foundation for developing S&T strategy, policy, and management towards renovation and sustainable development. Concrete research tasks include:
· Methodology of developing S&T development strategy at national, sectoral and regional levels linked with socio-economic sustainable development and environment protection, policy of S&T reform linked with socio- economic reform;
· Identification of priority orientations for science and technology development in line with the world general trends and the practical conditions and needs of Viet Nam;
· Organization modalities and management mechanism of science and technology tasks at national, ministerial, provincial and grassroot levels;
· Invesment and financial mechanism for science and technology development with a view to strengthening the national S&T potential; reasonable financial use for science and technology;
· Mechanism and policies for development and effective use of S&T human resources; attracting and recruiting talented personnel; promoting motivation of S&T cadre;
· Development policies, operation and management mechanisms of different types of scientific and technological organizations appropriate to market economy conditions and requirements of international integration: research and development organizations; scientific and technological enterprises; technology incubators, science and technology business incubators; high-tech parks; scientific and technological service organizations, etc.
· Management mechanism, incentive policies to encourage/promote the application of scientific and technological research results; technology transfer and innovation in different sectors, regions and businesses; development of technology markets;
· Assessment on the technological capacity and level of the nation, specific sector, area, region and enterprise, and on the effect/impact and effectiveness of scientific and technological activities on sustainable development.
2.Participate in developing strategy, mechanism, policy and legal documents on science and technology;
3.Trainning masters and PhDs specialized in science and technology policy in pursuant to the Education Law;
4.Associate with other institutions doing research and development, scientific and technological servises, training, production-trade, both domestic and international, in order to implement the assigned functions and tasks;
5.Realize tasks in relation to international co-operation assigned by the Ministry;
6.Issue publications, magazines based on the research results and activities related to the Institute’s functions, tasks in compliance with laws;
7. Organizational and personnel management as decentralized by the Ministry;
8.Management of assets, equipment and facilities of the Institute in accordance with government regulations.